Thursday, August 27, 2009

Granola Bars

I've discovered homemade granola bars. They are the easiest thing in the world to make and they taste so good. My first ones were made with peanut butter, honey, brown sugar, oatmeal, and dried cranberries. That's when I fell in love. They were so good. I put some globs of peanut butter in a pot and began to melt it. As it melted I added some honey and brown sugar. When all of that was pretty much in liquid form I added the oatmeal. I stirred until it was all mixed together. I still had the fire on. It wasn't sticking together too well so I added some more honey and brown sugar until it was sticking together. I turned the fire off and added the dried cranberries. Then, I spread it all out on a cookie sheet and let it cool.
I've made several different kinds since my first batch. Some things I've learned since then: Use peanut butter or some oil or your bars will stick to the cookie sheet, wax paper or whatever you use. They will also turn into bricks. Put wax paper on top and press down to make them nice and uniform as possible. Use a potholder, because it is very hot. Do not add more peanut butter if it's not sticking together. Your bars will turn out to be more like peanut butter bars instead of granola bars.

No comments: