Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I joined The Grocery Game - Again

A couple of years ago a friend told me about The Grocery Game.  It sounded wonderful so I signed up.  At the time it would only cost me $1.  I figured, at that price, I was willing to give it a try.  I think I saved some money, I can't really remember.  But, recently I rejoined.  It cost me $15 this time, but I knew it was worth it.  I paid $10 for the first store I chose and $5 for the second (each store after the first would cost $5).  Honestly, I think it's worth it.  But, don't be alarmed!  If you would like to join then it's FREE for you for 4 weeks!  Simply go to https://www.thegrocerygame.com/con_Free_Trial.cfm?function=order&smt=0&srm=1 and sign up.  If you say that I refered you (vernitta_w at yahoo dot com) then I get a couple of weeks free (if I refer a certain number of people)

Not sure what I'm talking about?
The Grocery Game is a website that can save you hundreds of dollars on your grocery bill each month. Log in, spend a few minutes with a pair of scissors, and you're off to win The Grocery Game!
When you play, you'll get a weekly list (called Teri's List) of the lowest-priced products at your supermarket matched with manufacturers' coupons and weekly specials -- advertised and unadvertised. The Grocery Game does all the hard work and research, and presents it to you in a straightforward format.
It's not a contest or really a game.  It's just a way to save money on groceries and other household items.

A couple of days ago I got my list and coupons together and we headed off to Safeway.  But, things were not going as I had planned.  There were things that were supposed to be on sale, based on my list, that weren't.  I had the wrong list!  Why?  Because we lived in one zipcode, but shopped in another.  Yes, there was a Safeway in our zipcode, but this one was closer.  But, even though I had the wrong list we still saved $45!  $45 people!  I was so excited!  But, at the same time I was disappointed.  Disappointed, because if I had had the right list we could have saved even more money.  If you join I recommend putting in the zipcode of the store that you frequent instead of your's, just in case you don't live in the same zipcode.
  
Now on the list that I had printed out it had said that Del Monte Fruit Naturals Cups were on sale for $1.  But, guess what?  I had found a coupon that wasn't listed for Buy 3 get a $1 off!  Doesn't that sound wonderful!?  So go and find other coupons.  Do you have favorite brands?  Go to their website and sign up for their newsletter.  Google " 'favorite product' coupons" and see what you get.  You would be surprised.

Also, sign up for newsletters from your favorite restaurants.  Jarrod and I like to go to Chevy's.  We signed up for their newsletters and about 2-3 a month we get a coupon for "Order one combo and the second (of equal or lesser value) is only $2.99" (sometimes $3.99).  Their combos are so big that it's two meals.  So we end up spending roughly $16.49 on four meals.  That's less than $5 a meal!

Also, take a look at this website.  Jarrod had googled "feeding a family for a week"  (He was looking for more information about this.) and found this.  It is what got me interested in couponing again.  That, and I saw my sister, Rebekka's, posts on facebook about using coupons.

2 comments:

Rebekka said...

Yay! I just love saving money =) I got 5 bags of Betty Crocker Cookie mix last week for .15 cents (not each but total!) Call me sometime and I will share what I have learned. I have been tempted to join something like grocery game (I forgot what it is called) but I kind of like doing it myself. Right now It takes up a lot of my time but one day I will get the hang of it.

TheWilsons said...

I thought the same thing, that I could just do this all myself, but the Grocery Game has things listed that are on sale, but are not in the sales papers. I'm eager to know how you do it, though.