Saturday, October 24, 2009

Tuesday's Date Night

I don't know if I've mentioned this or not, but every Tuesday evening we drop the chitlins off at Jarrod's parents' house and head out for some much needed alone time. Some people call this date night. We do too. Well this Tuesday we couldn't decide where to go. So Jarrod just started driving. We ended up in San Ramon. This is not too far from where we live. We were driving along when we saw a cute little italian restaurant. We pulled up and read the menu outside. It looked expensive, but it's date night. Sometimes you need to splurge. We go inside and they looked a little surprised to see us. They had more than one fork on the table. It was a really nice place. I regretted my decision to wear flip flops for this date.

We ordered our food. Jarrod ordered what he was thinking would be mozzarella sticks for an appetizer. But, it turned out to be prosciutto covered with a small salad with pieces of real mozzarella in it. That's not our usual salad, but it was pretty good. For our dinner Jarrod ordered Lasagnette Alla Napoletana, Individual baked lasagna filled with tomato-basil sauce, pesto and fresh mozzarella. I orderedGnocci Alla Piemontese, Home made potato gnocci with fontina cheese and truffle sauce.


When they brought our food out I looked at mine and thought, "We are paying $15 for this?"
Then I tasted it.

It was wonderful. It was awesome. It was like the tastebuds in my mouth were saying, "This is what we've been waiting for. This is the elixir of life!" It was that good. I made Jarrod taste it. I forced myself not to put some in my purse so that my sister-in-law, Rebecca, could taste it. I wanted to mail some in an envelope to my sister-in-law, Jessica. It was that good! I raved about it to Jarrod. So much so that when we got home he looked up how to make it. When he looked up the truffle sauce he decided he wanted to grow the truffles. Truffles are a type of mushroom. And the cheapest ones sell for $300 a lb. That explains why this Gnocchi was so expensive. It was like heaven in my mouth, people. It was that good.

No comments: